- 1 large egg white
- Salt and freshly grated black pepper
- 1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Cooking spray
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 3" x 1/2" sticks
- Marinara sauce (for dipping; quick homemade version below)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and season with salt and pepper.
- In a ziplock bag, place breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese and shake well.
- Dip zucchini sticks into eggs, then into bread crumb and cheese mixture- a few at a time and shake to coat.
- Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with 1/2 cup marinara sauce for dipping.
Quick Marinara Sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 small bay leaf
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn.
- Add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Stir and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and let simmer about 20 minutes.
Source: Adapted from Skinnytaste