What is better than buttered and toasted bread with warm, melted cheese? Not a whole lot. You can't quite compete with a good grilled cheese sandwich... UNTIL NOW. Adding slivered red onion, sliced tomatoes, and green chiles- and you've got yourself a gourmet grilled cheese. And let me tell you- it is even better than the regular grilled cheese sandwich with not that much more of effort. You can customize the cheese to whatever combo you want too. You've GOT to try this.
The Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich
1 Tbsp Hellmann's mayo
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 medium tomato, sliced
Red onion, sliced thin
4 slices of mild cheddar (I used Havarti)
4 slices of provolone
Green chiles, whole or diced
4 slices of Rye bread (I used whole-wheat)
Butter, softened (I love this!)
1. Heat skillet over LOW heat. Make the "special sauce": Combine the mayo and dijon mustard in a small bowl.
2. Spread a thin layer onto the inside of all the bread slices. (Only a thin layer is necessary! No globs here.)
3. Slice a ripe tomato. Thinly slice a red onion.
4. Place 2 slices of ripe tomato on one piece of bread, and 2 slices of cheddar on the other slice. On top of the tomato, place several slices of red onion, followed by 2 slices of provolone cheese.
4. Place green chiles on top of your provolone. Now very carefully put the 2 halves of this glorious sandwich together.
5. Spread softened butter on top of the bread. Place the buttered side onto the warmed skillet. Repeat the butter process on the other side.
6. Let the sandwich cook for approx. 5 minutes. This will ensure that the middle gets warm and melted. Flip and continue cooking for a few minutes, until golden brown.
7. Remove to a cutting board, slice in half, and eat.
Yield: 2 sandwiches
Source: Adapted from Pioneer Woman