I wanted to make some baked goods for some co-workers who helped me on short notice. Since it's still chilly, something warm came to mind... and something that wasn't chocolate-y or over-the-top sweet. I came across this muffin recipe and knew it would be perfect. Warm orange muffins with a sweet brown sugar glaze- who could resist? The cake was of light texture with a hint of oranges- perfect for a chilly morning! Next time, I will add some orange inside the muffin, so I can get a burst of orange goodness in a bite of these muffins.
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup buttermilk (or add 1 Tbsp white vinegar to just under 1 cup of milk)
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups sifted flour
Grated rind of 2 oranges (outside orange color only- not the white under!)
Brown Sugar Glaze
Juice of 2 oranges (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy- 4-5 minutes.
3. Add eggs and mix well.
4. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk; pour in mixing bowl.
5. Add 2 cups of flour and orange rind, and mix together well, just until incorporated (don't overmix).
6. Fill muffin or mini-muffin pans, and bake for 12-17 minutes or until light golden. Remove from oven, and poke holes in each muffin with a toothpick.
7. To make the Glaze, combine 1 cup brown sugar with the juice of 2 oranges. Stir together, and drizzle over warm muffins. Remove from pans immediately and eat warm! Mmmm...
Source: Adapted from Pioneer Woman