5-lb Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes (I used Yukon Gold)
1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, plus a few Tbsp
8-oz package cream cheese, softened
½-3/4 cup Half & Half
½-1 tsp Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
½-1 tsp Black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel and cut the potatoes into pieces that are generally the same size. (I cut mine into bite-sized pieces.)
3. Add cold water to a large pot, and then add the cut potatoes.
4. Bring to a boil, and cook for 30-35 minutes (mine took 15-17 minutes). When they’re cooked through, the fork should easily slide into the potatoes with no resistance, and the potatoes should almost- but not totally- fall apart.
5. Drain the potatoes in a large colander.
6. When the potatoes have finished draining, place them back into the dry pot and put the pot on the stove. Mash the potatoes over low heat, allowing all the steam to escape before adding in the remaining ingredients- don't skip this step! It's important to "dry out" your potatoes, and don't overmix!
7. Turn off the stove and add the 1-1/2 sticks butter, cream cheese, and Half & Half.
8. Mash, Mash, Mash!
9. Add the Lawry’s salt and black pepper.
10. Stir well, and place in a medium sized baking dish. Top it off with a few pats of butter.
11. Bake the potatoes until the butter is melted and potatoes are warmed through.
Note: When making this dish 1-2 days in advance, take it out of the fridge 2-3 hours prior to serving time. Bake in 350 degree oven for approx. 20-30 minutes, or until warmed through.
Source: Pioneer Woman