3 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing grill pan
4 large portobello mushrooms (about 5 inches in diameter), stemmed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 small to medium sized vine ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8-oz fresh water-packed mozzarella, drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Freshly grated Parmesan, to top
1. Prepare the barbecue (medium-high heat).
2. Drizzle 3 Tbsp of olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms. Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper.
3. Drizzle olive oil on grill pan to prevent mushrooms from sticking. Grill until the mushrooms are heated through and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, and balsamic vinaigrette in a medium bowl to blend.
5. Add the tomatoes, cheese, and basil and toss to coat.
6. Season the tomato salad, to taste, with salt and pepper.
7. Place 1 hot grilled mushroom gill side up on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
8. Spoon the tomato salad atop the mushrooms, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil to finish, about 1 Tbsp.
9. Top the portobello with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and place back on the grill just until the mozzarella is warmed and Parmesan has melted.
Source: Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis