2 small fennel bulbs, tops removed
1-lb fingerling or small potatoes
1/3 cup good olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-lb French string beans (haricots verts), trimmed and patted dry
1 bunch thin asparagus, ends removed, cut diagonally into 3” pieces, patted dry
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Cut the fennel bulbs into 6 wedges each, cutting through the core to keep the wedges intact. Place on a sheet pan.
3. Cut the potatoes in half length-wise and place them on the pan with the fennel.
4. Drizzle the olive oil on the vegetables, then sprinkle with 2 tsp kosher salt and 1 tsp pepper. Toss with your hands.
5. Roast the vegetables for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender, tossing once while cooking.
6. Toss the string beans and asparagus with the roasted vegetables and toast for another 10-15 minutes, until the green vegetables are tender.
7. Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese and roast for another 1-2 minutes until the cheese melts.
8. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve hot.
Source: Ina Garten: Back to Basics
* How to trim asparagus
1. Wash asparagus thoroughly.
2. Cut off the thick/tough bottoms- it should be an inch or so. (You can easily tell by bending the bottom of the asparagus, and you’ll feel the “bend”.)