2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 pound ground beef
Salt and pepper
One 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed
One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
One 1-pound bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (Use 2 cups next time)
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomato paste.
4. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat, for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the beans and the tomatoes with their juice and bring to a boil.
6. Lower the heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
7. Transfer to an 8-by-11-inch baking dish.
8. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400°.
9. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and cheese. Scatter the potato mixture over the chili.
10. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and bake until the potatoes are cooked through and the chili is bubbling, about 35 minutes.
Source: Rachael Ray