1-lb pork breakfast sausage (Used spicy sausage)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups milk (Do not use low-fat or nonfat)
1-lb package frozen shredded hash browns
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 green onions, chopped
1-1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish.
2. Cook sausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
3. Mix in flour, then milk. Cook until mixture thickens and comes to boil, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, mix the potatoes and 1 cup of cheese. Add salt and pepper.
5. Arrange the potatoes/cheese mixture in prepared dish.
6. Top with 2/3 of green onions, sausage mixture, and remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
7. Bake casserole until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes.
8. Sprinkle with remaining green onions, and serve.
Source: Adapted from Bon Appetit