One of the reviewers of this recipe recommended using the Betty Crocker pre-packaged sugar cookie mix to save time- that was a huge fail for me because the cookies expanded so much that you couldn't even recognize the "broom bristles" and it became one globby cookie mess. The 2nd time I did this, I used the recipe that came with it below- the cookies didn't expand at all- score! Happy Halloween!
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
10 pretzel rods, about 8-1/2 inches long, cut crosswise in half
2 tsp shortening
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Butterscotch-flavored chips, melted (Omitted)
1. Heat oven to 350ºF.
2. Mix brown sugar, butter, water and vanilla in medium bowl.
3. Stir in flour and salt.
4. Shape dough into (20) 1-1/4-inch balls.
5. Place pretzel rod halves on ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Press ball of dough onto cut end of each pretzel rod.
7. Press dough with fork to resemble "bristles" of broom. (You can spray some cooking spray on the fork so it doesn't stick to the cookie.)
8. Bake about 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely on wire rack, about 30 minutes.
9. Cover cookie sheet with waxed paper.
10. Place brooms on waxed paper.
11. Heat shortening and chocolate chips over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth; remove from heat.
12. Spoon melted chocolate over brooms, leaving about 1 inch at top of pretzel handle and bottom halves of cookie bristles uncovered.
13. Drizzle with melted butterscotch chips.
14. Let stand until chocolate is set.
Source: Betty Crocker