1 lb Bob Evans sausage roll (original)
1-1/2 loaves (36-oz) white bread, crusts removed
2 Tbsp butter
2 large or 3 medium onions, chopped
1/3 bag of celery, sliced
8-oz mushrooms, chopped (omitted)
2 eggs, beaten
Salt & Pepper
1 to 1-1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 baking dish. (I used a 2.2-qt rectangular baking dish.)
2. In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, cook the sausage, breaking up the sausage roll.
3. While the sausage is cooking, cube the bread into ½” squares.
4. Once the sausage is fully cooked, remove from pan. In the same pot, melt the butter, and add the chopped onions, sliced celery, and chopped mushrooms. Cook until the vegetables are tender- 15-20 minutes. Add the cooked sausage back into the pot and mix well.
5. Remove pan from the heat.
6. Add the cubed bread, eggs, and salt & pepper to the pan.
7. Add the chicken stock/broth to make it moist.
8. Pour stuffing into the greased baking dish and bake until cooked through, golden brown, and warmed- 20-30 minutes.
Source: Adapted from my mom’s recipe