It was the perfect amount of garlic and saltiness. I loved the garlic spread! I am keeping the extra spread in my refrigerator, and will use it as needed. The crust of the bread achieved a nice golden brown color, while the inside of the bread was soft and warm. You could even add a sprinkling of Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses on top for a cheesy version. Once you try this recipe, you won't be going back to the store to purchase pre-made or frozen garlic bread.
1 head garlic, unpeeled
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3 Tbsp minced parsley leaves
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 loaf sourdough bread, split horizontally (Used French loaf)
Cheese topping- Shredded Parmesan and/or Mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Cut top off garlic head.
3. Place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil; drizzle with olive oil.
4. Fold edges together to seal.
5. Bake 45 minutes; cool.
6. Squeeze cooked garlic into a medium bowl. Garlic will be soft and sticky.
7. Add butter, parsley salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
8. Spread cut halves of bread evenly with garlic butter mixture. Add cheese topping, if you choose.
9. Broil 5.5" inches from heat, with oven door partially opened, for 2-3 minutes, or until butter melts and bread is toasted.
10. Cut into slices to serve.
Source: Adapted from Paula Deen