OMG, my mouth is on FIRE. This recipe is definitely for those who like HEAT. I like spicy, but this was definitely SPICY, but SO tasty. I couldn't stop eating it (drinking large amounts of water in between bites.) Next time, I will halve the chili-garlic sauce (my preference). You could also use shrimp instead of the tofu. It was very quick to put together, and a great protein alternative to meat. This will definitely go into my weekly rotation.
1 block of firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed (to get the excess liquid out) and cut into bite-sized pieces (Next time, I will use 2 packages)
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1 bell pepper (I used red bell, but can use green, yellow, or combination)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chili-garlic sauce (I will halve this next time)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 cup chicken broth (I used chicken stock)
Green onions, chopped (optional)
Cooked rice or noodles (optional)
1. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil into a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add tofu blocks and cook about 12-15 minutes until they start to get lightly brown.
3. Add onions, pepper, and garlic. Saute 15-20 minutes until semi-soft.
4. Add chili-garlic sauce, soy sauce, and chicken broth. Stir everything together and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 15 minutes- sauce will slightly thicken.
* Serve over rice or noodles, and top with green onions.
Source: Adapted from Mary Ellen's Cooking