This recipe was fast and fudgey- exactly what was needed for a chocolate craving. One bowl, one spoon, no muss and no fuss. The peanut butter icing was the perfect pair for these cupcakes (and very easy to pipe.)
Next time, I'll try melting white chocolate chips and chocolate peanut butter chips, and drizzle them on top for a fancy look. You can even place some sprinkles on top for a festive look! I love fudge brownies, so I may try making them as brownie cupcakes (and not cake-like brownies). The peanut butter cup can easily be replaced with white chocolate chips, chopped up Snickers or even Heath bars. You can't mess these up!!!
A tip I learned: Don't overfill the muffin tin too full or your brownie cupcakes will turn out like this:
Peanut Butter Brownie Cupcakes
18-1/2 oz package chewy fudge brownie mix
12-oz package peanut butter chips or 24 miniature peanut butter cups
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 regular muffin cups with paper cupcake liners.
2. Prepare the brownie mix according to package directions for cake-like brownies.
3. Fill the cups half full with brownie batter. (Using a cookie scoop was very helpful in this step.)
4. Place about 1 Tbsp peanut butter chips in the center of the batter, or press 1 peanut butter cup into the batter in each muffin cup until the batter meets the top edge of the peanut butter cup.
Fill the muffin wells 1/2-3/4 way full. The brownie should be at the top edge of the muffin well after you placed the peanut butter cup:
5. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the cupcakes are set.
6. When they can be handled safely, remove them from the muffin tins and let cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Yield: (24) mini-cupcakes
Kathleen's Peanut Butter Icing
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream
1. Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work.
2. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.
Source: Brownie cupcake from Paula Deen; Peanut Butter Icing from Ina Garten