3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cup shredded carrots (roughly 3-4 carrots, shredded), patted dry
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins, soaked in hot water or rum for 10 minutes
Cream Cheese Filling
4 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare your muffin tins by greasing with cooking spray or using paper liners.
2. Sift together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar; set aside.
3. In separate bowl, beat the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla together until lightened.
4. Stir in the carrots, walnuts and raisins.
5. In another bowl, cream together the cream cheese filling ingredients; set aside.
6. Fold the dry muffin ingredients into the wet egg/oil mixture and stir until just combined.
7. Fill each muffin cup about ¾ full. Top each filled muffin cup with a generous teaspoon of the cream cheese filling.
8. Bake about 17-25 minutes*, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake part comes out clean.
*If making standard sized muffins, bake for 17-20 minutes.
*If making jumbo sized muffins, bake for 23-25 minutes.
Source: As seen on Joelen's Culinary Adventures, originally from The Delicious Life