For the cupcakes
¼ cup dark rum or bourbon (Used dark rum)
1 cup eggnog
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
For the frosting
¼ cup butter, softened
3 Tbsp eggnog
1 Tbsp rum
Nutmeg, generous pinch
2 (or more) cups confectioners’ sugar
Cinnamon, for sprinkling
Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the rum, eggnog, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
5. Divide evenly between prepared muffin wells.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed.
7. Cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. To make the frosting, cream together the butter, eggnog, rum, nutmeg and confectioners’ sugar. Add in more confectioners’ sugar if needed to make the frosting stiff, but spreadable. Frost the cooled cupcakes.
9. Sprinkle with cinnamon and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Source: Adapted from Baking Bites