For the cupcakes
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Ganache
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
For the Ganache Whipped Cream Topping
2/3 cup COLD heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside.
2. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
3. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed.
5. While the cupcakes are baking, make the ganache- Melt the chocolate chips with heavy cream in the microwave for 60 seconds. Stir until smooth, and then allow it to come to room temperature.
6. Once the cupcakes are done baking, transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
7. Using a piping bag with a round tip (I used Wilton tip #12), add half of the ganache, insert the tip into the cupcake, and squeeze into the cupcake. Repeat with remaining cupcake.
8. Beat 2/3 cup heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
9. Fold the remaining cooled ganache with the whipped cream.
10. Decorate the cupcake tops. Enjoy!
Yield: 20 cupcakes
Source: Martha Stewart, as seen in Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book