Bean and Barley Salad
1 cup pearl barley
2 cups water
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup canned corn kernels, cooked according to package
1/2 cup red onions, cut into half-inch slices (about half a bunch)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2/3 cup olive oil
1. In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups water to boil. Stir in barley and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes or until tender. If using a rice cooker, increase water to 2 1/2 cups. Allow barley to cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cooled barley, black beans, kidney beans, corn, green onions and bell pepper. Mix well.
3. Combine remaining ingredients, whisking in olive oil. Pour over salad and toss well.*
4. Serve at room temperature or chill in fridge for several hours.**
* I only used about 2/3 of the dressing.
** If serving chilled, reserve some of the dressing to pour over salad just before serving.
Source: Originally found on All Recipes, As seen on What's Cooking in Mama Jan's Kitchen