Cherry Coke Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
1½ cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup sugar
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large egg
½ cup buttermilk
¾ cup Coca-Cola (Don't use diet)
¼ tsp maraschino cherry juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
48-60 Maraschino cherries, stemless (28-oz jar of cherries was plenty)
For the glaze
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 Tbsp Coca-Cola
For topping (If you plan to pipe the frosting, double the ingredients)
2/3 cup heavy cream
3-4 Tbsp powdered sugar
10-12 Maraschino cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a muffin pan with foil or paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together and set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugar and butter. Mix on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
4. Mix in the egg until incorporated.
5. In a bowl or large measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, Coke, maraschino cherry juice, and vanilla extract; stir to combine. (This mixture may look disgusting and/or curdled – it’s okay!)
6. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter-sugar mixture on low speed, alternately with the liquid ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing just until incorporated.
7. Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners. Drop 3-4 stemless maraschino cherries into each cupcake well and push them down into the batter. Bake for about 23-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the glaze
1. Combine the confectioners’ sugar and Coke in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. 2. Spoon or drizzle a small amount of the top of each cupcake. Allow to set.
To make the whipped cream topping
1. Add the heavy cream to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Begin whipping on medium speed, slowly adding the confectioners’ sugar and gradually increasing the speed to high as the cream holds soft peaks. Whip until the cream holds stiff peaks, being careful not to overbeat.
2. Spoon or pipe the whipped cream on top of the cupcakes and top each with a maraschino cherry.
Yields: 12 cupcakes
Source: Originally from Coco Bean, Adapted from Annie’s Eats