This chicken dish was mouth-watering. The creaminess from the goat cheese paired with fresh rosemary and lemon zest were an outstanding flavor combination. Definitely use fresh rosemary, and we loved the panko breadcrumbs for the huge "crunch" it provided! The prep work was easy but keep in mind the 45-minute cooking time. We just made a side dish as the chicken baked away.
Great Grandma’s Baked Chicken
8 ounces (about 3/4 cup) soft goat cheese
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2 tsp grated lemon peel
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups Japanese panko breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
6 Tbsp butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, rosemary and lemon peel; set aside.
3. Using a small sharp knife, cut into the side of each chicken breast half to create a pocket. Stuff each chicken breast with about 1-1/2 Tbsp goat cheese mixture and secure with a toothpick.
4. In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and set aside.
5. Place the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add half the melted butter to the bread crumbs and combine. Keep the remaining butter warm for basting.
6. Cover a baking sheet with foil. Dip each stuffed chicken breast in the egg and then in the bread crumbs to coat; set on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until cooked through, about 45 minutes, drizzling with the remaining butter every 15 minutes.
Source: Rachael Ray