Wednesday, August 11, 2010
These were so fun and easy to make! I wanted to make an easy breakfast for my DB and the entire process took less than 30 minutes- and that includes 15 minutes of baking time. This idea is a nice twist from your usual breakfast items, and it’s all in one little cute breakfast cup which is also portable! I personally don’t like runny yolks, so I increased my baking time an extra 5 minutes. The yolks were a little runny, but mostly cooked all the way through.
Bacon, Egg, and Toast Cups
6 slices of bacon
6 slices of bread (I used whole wheat)
Shredded cheese, 6 Tbsp
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. Grease 6 wells of a muffin pan with cooking spray.
3. In a frying pan, cook bacon on medium high about 3-5 minutes, until partially cooked but not completely crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
4. Cut out rounds of bread (I used a 3.5-inch round cookie cutter, but a drinking glass would be fine.) Press the bread rounds into the greased muffin wells.
5. Curl a piece of bacon around the periphery of each piece of bread, positioning it between the bread and the muffin tin to help keep it in position.
6. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of shredded cheese in the center of each piece of bread.
7. One at a time, crack an egg, removing about half of the white, and dropping the remaining white and yolk over each piece of bread, being careful not to break the yolks. Season with salt & pepper.
8. Once all the bread pieces have been topped with eggs, bake until eggs are cooked through to your liking (about 6-10 minutes) and bacon is crispy. (I baked it for 15 minutes.)
9. Run a knife around the edge of each muffin well and pop the egg cups out. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 muffin cups
Source: Originally from the Noshery, As seen on Christine's Kitchen Chronicles and Annie's Eats