Monday, September 6, 2010
We were so excited to try our first zucchini from our veggie garden. Since growing our own vegetables is new to both of us, we accidentally let our zucchini overgrow (and it had seeds in them). No worries- they still tasted great (and now we know better). My DB’s co-worker Jen just brought in some homemade zucchini bread, and I only had a bite of it before he ate it all. In a matter of hours. So when we picked our hugely-overgrown zucchini, I wanted to make some zucchini bread of my own, but also wanted to add some fruit to it for some natural sweetness. This bread produced a moist bread, and I loved how I could sneak in the veggies. Next time, I will add a crumb topping. I made them into mini loaves, and brought them into work for friends. They raved about it, and it was demolished within the morning. I’d say- this is a keeper.
Blueberry Zucchini Bread
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
3 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups white sugar (or 2 cups white sugar + ¼ brown sugar)
2-3 cups shredded zucchini (no need to peel, or remove the water)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 pint fresh blueberries (2 cups)
Optional: Crumb topping (1/4 cup brown sugar, ¼ cup flour, 3 Tbsp cubed, room temperature unsalted butter, and ½ tsp cinnamon)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar.
3. Fold in the zucchini.
4. In a separate medium bowl, beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries.
5. Add the blueberry/flour mixture to the liquid mixture, and stir just until combined.
6. Transfer to the prepared mini-loaf pans. Sprinkle crumb topping (optional).
7. Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. (If you’re using regular size loaf pans, bake an additional 20 minutes.)
8. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
Yield: 4 mini loaves or 2 regular size loaves
Source: Adapted from All Recipes