Friday, October 1, 2010
I did a homemade Slow Cooker Cran-Applesauce last year using Craisins. This year, I wanted to make something similar but omit the cinnamon and use fresh cranberries. This was superb and healthy! Even though I used Granny Smith apples and fresh cranberries (both naturally tart), you didn't need to add any sugar since the apples have natural sugar in them. I loved every spoonful of this homemade sauce, and I loved the fresh burst of cranberry flavor in every bite.
Slow Cooker Cranberry Applesauce
4 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (I used Granny Smith, but any type is fine)
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup apple juice, cider, or water
Juice from 1 lemon
1. Add the chopped apples and cranberries into your slow cooker.
2. Add the liquid and lemon juice.
3. Cook it on LOW for 7 hours.
4. Use a potato masher or immersion blender to blend the apples to desired consistency.
* The applesauce keeps (covered and chilled) for 1 week.
Source: The Piggly-Wiggly original