5 medium garlic cloves (5 tsp), minced, plus 4 medium cloves, smashed
1 pound large shrimp (21-25), peeled, deveined, each shrimp cut into 3 pieces*
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1/2 pound pasta in short, tubular shapes, such as fusilli, campanelle, or mezze rigatoni
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry vermouth or white wine
3/4 cup clam juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp lemon juice (1/2 lemon) plus 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Ground black pepper
1. Toss 2 tsp minced garlic, shrimp, 1 Tbsp oil, and 1/4 tsp salt in medium bowl. Let shrimp marinate at room temperature 20 minutes.
2. Heat 4 smashed garlic cloves and remaining 2 Tbsp oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic is light golden brown, 4 to 7 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and use slotted spoon to remove garlic from skillet; discard garlic. Set skillet aside.
3. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Add 1 Tbsp salt and pasta. Cook until just al dente, then drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water, and transfer pasta back to Dutch oven.
4. While pasta cooks, return skillet with oil to medium heat; add shrimp with marinade to skillet in single layer. Cook shrimp, undisturbed, until oil starts to bubble gently, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir shrimp and continue to cook until almost cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Using slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to medium bowl. 5. Add remaining 3 tsp minced garlic and pepper flakes to skillet and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
6. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute; stir in vermouth and cook for 1 minute.
7. Add clam juice and parsley; cook until mixture starts to thicken, 4-5 minutes.
8. Off heat, whisk in butter and lemon juice.
9. Add shrimp and sauce to pasta, adding reserved cooking water if sauce is too thick.
10. Season with black pepper. Serve, passing lemon wedges separately.
* Reserve the shells from the shrimp to make easy shrimp stock.
Source: Adapted from America's Test Kitchen