These mashed potatoes are definitely not for the faint-hearted, but OMG, are they ever delicious. It is an excellent combination of ingredients, and an excellent recipe. Anything with bacon is delicious, don’t you think?
The potatoes were very creamy, rich, and had great flavor. This recipe is similar to a loaded baked potato, but instead in a mashed potato form with all the delicious toppings (Bacon! Cheddar! Green onions! Sour cream & chives!) incorporated within. Definitely not an everyday recipe, but perfect for holidays, special occasions, or to pair with a delicious steak. I halved the recipe since it is just the 2 of us, and we had plenty leftover; however, I am posting the original full recipe below.
Kicked Up Bacon Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 4 baking potatoes such as russets, about 3 pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-3/4 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled (we cook ours in the oven)
- 1/2 pound (8-oz) sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives or 4 green onions, chopped
- Place the potatoes and 1 tsp salt in a heavy 4-quart saucepan and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain in a colander and return to the cooking pot.
- Add the cream, butter, remaining 3/4 tsp salt, and black pepper.
- Place the pan over medium- low heat and mash with a potato masher to incorporate the ingredients and achieve a light texture, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the bacon, grated cheese, sour cream, and chopped chives and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Source: Adapted from Emeril Lagasse