I love Milk & Honey’s granola, but it was getting quite expensive to continuously purchase and pay for shipping. I made this granola and I loved it, but wanted to have more than 1 granola recipe to choose from.
I kept seeing this recipe on various blogs, but I always turned my eye to it- “Olive oil granola?”. I don’t think so. But with so many bloggers raving about this recipe, I knew it was only time until I tried it.
It’s actually really, really good, and you can’t even taste the olive oil. This granola combines the sweet and salty combinations we all love, made with a maple syrup base and a hint of cinnamon. Even my DB loved it- he tops it on yogurt, eats it as a snack, and it’d make a healthy ice cream/yogurt topping as well. This is my favorite traditional granola recipe.
Sweet & Salty Olive Oil Granola Clusters
- 3 cups of old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups pistachios, hulled (Can use walnuts or pecans)
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup dried fruit (Craisins, dried berries, dried apricots)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, pistachios, almonds, coconut, and fruit; mix well until combined.
3. Add in the maple syrup, olive oil, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon; toss until evenly combined.
4. In a small glass, whisk the egg white until it becomes frothy and foamy (about 2 minutes). Mix into the granola mixture.
5. On a baking pan covered with parchment paper, spread the mixture out in an even layer. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, to get evenly browned.
6. Remove from heat and let cool completely. As it cools, it will begin to harden and form into one large piece.
7. Once it is cooled, using your hands, break up the granola into clusters of your desired size.
8. Store in an air-tight container or resealable plastic bag.
Yield: 11 cups
Source: Originally from The New York Times, As seen on With A Cherry On Top, who adapted it from The Kitchn