Photo courtesy of Food Network
We had plans to head out to a BBQ party on Saturday over 4th of July weekend and Darin asked me if I could make something to bring to it- what's more traditional 4th of July food than a side of traditional macaroni salad?
The original recipe serves 4-6 servings. I knew this party would have a large showing so I did double the recipe (though, the original recipe is listed below). I thought it was the perfect blend of crunchy and creamy, and I also added bacon which I definitely thought it added some great flavor. Another option would be to add cubed cheese... maybe next time I will add some bacon to half the dish, and reserve some to add some cubed cheese.
- 12-oz bacon, center cut- cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni (~3/4 cup dried elbow macaroni)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp diced green onions
- 1 Tbsp chopped pimento
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Cook the bacon- I cooked mine in the oven for ease (I cooked mine at the recommended temperature on the back of the package but cooked for 21-22 minutes total).
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Add more salt, if needed.
- Cover and put into the refrigerator until ready to serve.