I love its "I'll work while you work" mentality (who doesn't love coming home to a savory aroma in the kitchen and a meal ready and awaiting?), but finding good recipes a challenge. They include a lot of pre-packaged ingredients (I fall victim to the occasional cream of... soups, I admit) and I like to be able to control what goes into my meals. I saw this recipe and thought- healthy, light, and filling. Darin loves Mexican food so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.
Lucky for us, the chicken cooked up tender and moist, and shredding was a breeze. We just customized our soft tacos with our toppings of choice and it took 10 minutes from kitchen to table. This is what a call an easy (and healthy) weeknight meal.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (I use 3 Tbsp of my homemade version)
- 1 can of Rotel tomatoes (or 16-oz of your favorite salsa)
- (12) 6" white corn tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
- Low-fat sour cream (optional)