When it comes to a ground turkey meatball recipe, I have found "the one". It is perfect in just about every way- it is flavorful, it is moist without crumbling at each bite, and a nice substitute to beef meatballs. Well, I thought they were perfect... until I decided to add more nutritional value to it and sneak in some grated veggies. I served these meatballs with a marinara sauce, served it to Darin, and held my breath as he took his first bite. Would he notice that I've altered his favorite meatball recipe?
"Mmm, I just love these meatballs, Sara!"
Release breath. Now, I don't want to give the impression that Darin doesn't try new things because it is a rare occasion when I make a recipe twice. He is always great about trying something new. But when you have a favorite, you really don't want to mess it up... or even alter it. Because it is already perfect. But now, Darin can have his favorite meatballs, and I can know that I can add some veggies in it and make it even more nutritious.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions (roughly 3 onions)
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated carrot (roughly 1 carrot)
- 1/4 cup coarsely shredded zucchini (roughly 1/2 zucchini)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds ground chicken or ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp grill seasoning blend (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Kraft Shredded Parmesan, Romano, & Asiago
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Handful of chopped parsley leaves (1 Tbsp dried parsley)
- Cooking spray
- In a medium sautepan, add 1 tsp oil on medium-low heat. Add the green onions, carrots, zucchini, and minced garlic. Saute until the veggies are nice and soft- about 4-5 minutes. Place the sauteed veggies into a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large shallow baking sheet with foil, and spray it with cooking spray.
- Combine the remaining ingredients with the sauteed veggies and stir well.
- Shape mixture into (30) 1.5" meatballs (I used my medium OXO cookie scoop).
- Place the meatballs onto the baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes or until done.