Aren't these just adorable? These were all the rage a few years ago, but I never took to it since I don't like candy corn. When I looked at this recipe closer, I realized that these don't taste like candy corns- they just look like them.
Candy corns are symbolic this time of year, and I couldn't resist how cute these were. They were easy to make (read: boxed cake mix), and (like Molly Jean), my co-workers all asked me from which bakery I purchased them from. They were excited to learn they could make them right in their own kitchen.
I added too much yellow batter... Make sure to do even amounts of orange & yellow batter
- Boxed white cake mix
- Ingredients for the cake mix (mine were 3 egg whites, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, and 1-1/3 cup water)
- Food coloring- Red, Yellow
- Frosting- Canned is fine, but I used my favorite buttercream frosting
- Candy corn (for decoration)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line mini cupcake tin with paper liners.
2. Prepare cake batter according to package directions.
3. Divide the batter into (2) bowls. Add the red food coloring (it will turn orange) to 1 bowl and the yellow food coloring to the other bowl. Mix well. Add more food coloring until you reach the desired color.
4. Pour the yellow batter halfway into the muffin well first. Then, slowly add in the orange batter on top.
5. Bake as directed (mine took about 18-20 minutes). Allow the cupcake bites to cool down completely.
6. Once cooled, add a swirl of frosting and decorate it with a candy corn on top.
Source: Rookie Chef