If you’re looking for a fresh tomato sauce, look no further. This is the best tomato sauce I have made (and I’ve made quite a few). You can really taste the fresh tomatoes mixed with savory herbs in this sauce. This would taste fabulous over angel hair pasta for a light and delicious meal. This yields a smooth and thick sauce, and great for any pasta dish.
Bobby Flay’s Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed with some kosher salt (to make a paste)
- (2) 28-oz cans plum tomatoes and their juices, pureed in a blender
- 16-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch of Italian parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a 5-qt dutch oven (or large pot) over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and cook until soft.
2. Add pureed tomatoes with their juices, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, bay leaf, and parsley, and bring it to a boil.
3. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
4. Reduce heat, and cook until slightly thickened- about 30 minutes.
5. Remove the bay leaf, and serve hot over pasta.
Source: Originally from Bobby Flay, As seen as She Cooks and Bakes