Photo courtesy of All RecipesThis is similar to a dish I made last month, but uses Italian sausage (instead of chicken and bacon). Original recipe says to simmer it or 8-10 minutes but I like a nice thick cream sauce so I extended the simmer time to approximately 30 minutes, which did the trick.
- 1-lb package bow tie (farfalle) pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled (I used sausage roll)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional if you want more heat)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I used (2) 14.5-oz cans of diced tomatoes)
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions; drain.
- Heat oil in a 5-qt dutch oven or large, deep skillet (large enough to hold the sauce and pasta) over medium heat. Cook sausage and pepper flakes (if using) until sausage is evenly brown.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook until onion is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, cream, and salt. Simmer until mixture thickens, 28-30 minutes.
- Stir cooked pasta into sauce, and heat through. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.