To make it Paleo-friendly, I omit the tortilla chips and cheese, and it still tastes great!
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1 bay leaf, fresh if available
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 4 slices thick, smoky center cut bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 chipotles in adobo, chopped, plus 2 Tbsp sauce
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups lightly crushed corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded fresh smoked mozzarella or smoked sharp white Cheddar, 3/4 pound
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- Freshly chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Bring broth to a simmer and add chicken tenders, poach 6 to 7 minutes with a bay leaf.
- While chicken poaches, heat extra-virgin olive oil in a medium soup pot or deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp then remove with slotted spoon. Drain off excess fat, leaving 2-3 Tbsp in the pan.
- While the bacon cooks, puree the fire-roasted tomatoes and chipotle peppers with sauce.
- Add onions and garlic to the skillet and cook 5-10 minutes until soft; then stir in chipotles and tomatoes.
- Remove chicken from stock, dice and then add to soup. Pass stock through a strainer then add to the soup.
- Place a pile of crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of each soup bowl. Cover liberally with smoked cheese then ladle the hot soup down over the top.
- Serve with lime, raw onions and cilantro at table to finish the soup.
Source: Rachael Ray