this is still my reigning favorite chili, this is a great Paleo-friendly version of it.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound spice sausage roll
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 7 stalks of celery, chopped
- (2) 28-oz cans diced tomatoes with green chiles ("chili-ready" tomatoes), undrained
- 28-oz can whole, peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup Penzey's Chili 3000 seasoning mix
- In a large dutch oven or deep pot, brown the ground beef and sausage. Drain the grease, and remove from the pot.
- While the meats are cooking, open the canned whole tomatoes and "chop" them into bite-sized pieces in the can. (I usually take my kitchen shears and do this directly in the can.)
- Add olive oil back in the dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery, and sauté until tender 25-30 minutes. (Make sure all the veggies are tender!)
- Stir in the diced and whole tomatoes.
- Add the chili seasoning mix, and cook for about 8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the browned meat back into the dutch oven, partially over, and let simmer for 4 hours (I set my temperature to a "3"). Make sure to occasionally stir the chili so the bottom doesn't burn. (If it is too thick, add 1/2-1 cup of water.)