Well- waste no more because you can MAKE BUTTERMILK right in your home, and you can control how much you need. It's really easy too- you just need 1 Tbsp vinegar to a scant cup of milk. A wonderful substitute!
- 1 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 2% milk, just under 1 cup (Don't use skim milk, I've tried and it just doesn't take well)
- Place 1 Tbsp vinegar in a liquid measuring cup.
- Add enough milk to bring the liquid to 1 cup line.
- Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. (The milk will begin to curdle.)
- Stir the buttermilk thoroughly before using in the recipe.