- 12 oz high fiber elbows like Ronzoni Smart Taste
- Cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- Salt & pepper
- 8-oz Sargento 2% reduced-fat mild cheddar cheese
- 4 cups baby spinach (we omitted this)
- 1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- Spray a baking dish with buttered flavor Pam. Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt butter. Add flour and cook over low heat stirring with a whisk.
- Add onion and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheese and mix well until cheese is melted. (There will be a lot of sauce, but the pasta will absorb it all while baking in the oven.)
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked macaroni and baby spinach. Pour into baking dish. (We used our square Pyrex baking dish.)
- Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Spray a little more buttered flavor Pam on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (we baked it for 15 minutes), then broil for a few minutes to get the breadcrumbs golden.