|Photo courtesy of Lauren's Menu|
There is just enough "zing" from the garlic and red onions, and the balsamic vinegar rounds out the flavors. I love that you rub a garlic clove over the toasted baguette- what a great idea. However, go easy on the garlic rubbing- I went through many cloves of garlic, and the end result was garlic overload (if you can even believe it, and this gal loves her garlic.) Thus, I say just rub each toasted baguette lightly with garlic and you'll be fine.
Actually, you'll be more than fine. I think a friend and I ate this entire recipe in 1 night. It was just that good. Just remember to top the tomato mixture on top of the baguette right before serving, or the bread will become soggy.
- 6-7 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 6-7 fresh basil leaves
- 16-oz French baguette
- Cooking spray
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Combine tomatoes, minced garlic, red onion, vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and basil. Set aside.
- Slice bread into 1/2" thick slices. Place on a tray and spray lightly with olive oil. Toast bread under broiler, until golden, watching closely not to let it burn.
- When bread is toasted, rub each piece with whole garlic clove.
- Place bread on a platter and top with tomato mixture. Serve immediately or the bread will become soggy.