What a crappy photo, but the meal was delicious! Slow cooker corned beef was definitely the way to go- it was easy and literally took my 5 minutes to put together.
In the morning, I just placed the corned beef in the slow cooker, added the spice packet, a few other herbs, and poured enough water to cover the brisket. Set it on low, and by dinner time, our meal was ready.
We also love cooked cabbage and carrots, so once I removed the corned beef, I took the seasoned liquid and added just enough water to cook the cabbage and carrots- the seasoned water was terrific! I even keep some of the leftover water (after boiling the cabbage and carrots) to use for corned beef hash.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef (Paleo)
- 3# corned beef brisket (with spice packet)
- 12 fl-oz beer, preferably Stout beer (we used water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 cup whole peppercorns
- 1/2 bulb of garlic, separated and peeled
- 1# carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
- 1 small head of cabbage, cut into small thirds
- 10 small red potatoes (we omitted)
- In a small cooker, I lined my slow cooker with a crockpot liner.
- Remove the corned beef from its packaging, and rinse with cold water.
- Place the rinsed corned beef brisket into the slow cooker.
- Add the beer and just enough water to cover the brisket by 1" above the meat.
- Add the bay leaf, peppercorns, and garlic.
- Cover the slow cooker, and cook on LOW for 9-10 hours.
- Once it is done cooking, pour the liquid into a large pot and cook your vegetables for 20-30 minutes until fork tender.
Yield: 2 servings
Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
- 3/8 cup mayonnaise (I recommend Hellmann's, no Miracle Whip!)
- 1/8 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp minced capers
- 2 tsp sweet relish
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Place all dressing ingredients into a small bowl and stir. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use.
Yield: 1 cup
Source: Adapted from Ina Garten