Here is how we do it!
For shredded chicken
You've got 2 easy methods here
a) Rotisserie chicken- Our favorite one is from Costco (hello, only $5 and they're large enough to feed us for dinner and for lunch the next day). The meat is flavorful, tender, and so moist. We usually use one of these to make a meal (that feeds a family of 4).
b) Slow Cooker (my favorite way)- If you've got chicken, I love just throwing it in the slow cooker on LOW for 8 hours. Here is my favorite recipe (I like to make a lot of it! Whatever I don't use, I portion it in my Foodsaver and throw it in the freezer until needed):
- 4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (usually 2 packages)
- 3/4-1 cup chicken broth/stock (or use 1 tsp chicken granules/bouillon cube or I love this chicken base)
- 1 tsp Montreal Steak seasoning
- Line your slow cooker with a slow cooker liner. (I never use my slow cooker without one!)
- Add your chicken breasts into the slow cooker.
- If you're using chicken broth/stock, skip this step. If you're using bouillon or chicken base, add 1 tsp to 3/4 cup warm water. Stir until it dissolves.
- Pour the liquid over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the Montreal Steak seasoning over your chicken.
- Cook it on LOW for 8 hours.
- Once it has cooked, remove the chicken breasts onto a plate to let it rest for 5 minutes. Then, begin shredded it with a fork.
- Place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker for 30 more minutes. Use as desired.
- Place the remaining shredded chicken into a freezer-safe Ziploc bag (or Foodsaver bag), add a few Tablespoons of chicken broth, and seal airtight. Then freeze!
For cooked, diced chicken- I like making it in the morning while I get ready. I place the chicken breasts into a preheated oven (350 degrees), and bake it for 30 minutes. I remove it from the fridge, let it cool down a bit, and then place it in a Ziploc bag or Pyrex container and refrigerate it until I need it for dinner.