Darin loves Mexican food, and this recipe fit the bill! This dish tastes exactly what it says- a chicken enchilada in a pasta form.
The recipe calls for shredded chicken- for me, I like pre-making my chicken using my slow cooker. I take about 4 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, add some chicken broth and some seasoning, and let the slow cooker do all the cooking. Then, I package them up in my Foodsaver bags and throw them in the freezer. It's so easy, and it's literally a "set it and forget it" kind of recipe. Then, I can make enchiladas, quesadillas, or any recipe that calls for pre-cooked chicken. Or, if you're in a pinch, a rotisserie chicken works great here too.
For this recipe, you saute some veggies, throw in the chicken, seasonings, and sauces, then let it simmer while the pasta cooks. Add in the sour cream and cheese, and voila- meal is done! Easy enough for a weeknight meal, and this makes a ton!
It's a warm, comforting meal that is easy and tasty- perfect for a cold rainy day like today.
- 16-20oz penne pasta (we used 16-oz of 100% whole what penne, and it was the perfect amount)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (plan ahead recipe here)
- 4-oz can diced green chiles, undrained
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- (2) 10-oz cans green enchilada sauce
- 2/3 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup sour cream (we use reduced-fat)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we used Costco's Mexican Cheese blend)
- Toppings- green onions, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, diced avocado
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Make pasta according to box instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, grab a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, add the oil and onion. Saute on medium heat until semi-soft, roughly 10 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and garlic, and saute until semi-soft, roughly another 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken, green chiles, salt, chili powder, cumin, and green and red enchilada sauces. Let the sauce simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and cheese and heat through until the cheese is melted. Don't let it boil!
- Pour the sauce over the hot pasta.
- Garnish with toppings of your choice.
Source: Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe