If you love cheese and bacon, this dip is for you. D and I both love dips, so it was a no brainer for us to choose this dip for our Thanksgiving appetizer. Warm, melted cheeses (Cheddar, Monterey-Jack, and cream cheese) mixed with crumbled bacon? We were sold, and it did not disappoint. This is best served warm, and immediately following baking. It smells and tastes delicious.
*Note- Do yourself a favor and grate your cheese (aka. don't use the pre-shredded cheese). Pre-shredded packaged cheese has a flour coating which prevents the shredded cheese from clumping together, which results in a really thick (read: non-creamy) dip from the excess flour. Take a block of cheese and grate it yourself. You're welcome in advance.
- 1/2 cup mayo (we use the full-fat Hellman's mayo)
- 8-oz package of cream cheese (we use reduced-fat), softened
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese*
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey-Jack cheese*
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (we bake our bacon; no frying pan mess here!)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (we used several healthy dashes)
- 8 butter crackers, crushed, such as Ritz
- Bagel chips (you need something hearty and thick b/c the dip is thick)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix the mayo, cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, Monterey-Jack cheese, bacon, green onions, and cayenne pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow baking dish, such as a 9" pie pan.
- Top the mixture with cracker crumbs, and bake until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and serve immediately with chips.
Source: Adapted from Trisha Yearwood