Darin has been loving his oatmeal in the mornings. Whole grains are a great way to start the day as they are low in fat and high in fiber and good carbohydrates. We make a large batch on Saturdays and then package them into individual plastic containers, so they are portable and easy to pack into his lunches every day.
This is a nice variation to his usual oatmeal + PB as the Craisins and grated apple add some sweetness to the oats. Make sure to grate your apple- if you dice/chop it, the apple won't get soft enough and it'll remain too crunchy for this baked dish.
|Grated apple, Craisins, and almond extract gives this oatmeal a nice sweetness to it|
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (not quick cooking oats)
- 1/4 cup dried cherry or cranberries (we used Craisins)
- 1 Tbsp light or dark brown sugar
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 medium apple, grated
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds (we omitted this)
- Topping options: Vanilla yogurt, sliced almonds, additional dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a square baking dish (8x8) with cooking spray.
- Combine first 6 ingredients (oats through almond extract) in a large bowl, and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes (ours was done at 45 minutes), and serve with toppings.
Source: (can't find it anymore, but it was on the internet...)