We've been here several times, and yes- it is gourmet hot dogs and they are delicious! It is in the trendy Over-The-Rhine area, and the first time we went there, it was a Friday night at 9:30pm and there was a wait for 45 minutes! Luckily, we were able to find 2 open seats at the bar, and we promptly sat down and started looking at the menu.
I settled on their "Trailer Park", while D ordered the "Croque Madame". We both love the Trailer Park dog. It is essentially a hot dog wrapped in bacon and cheese, topped with creamy cole slaw and crushed Grippo's BBQ potato chips. Grippo's is a local Cincinnati company, and they have my favorite BBQ potato chips of all time.
When making this, definitely butter and toast your buns. Makes a huge difference! Also, we used Nathan's all-beef hot dogs (our fave), but we both agreed that we wanted a thicker hot dog, so we're going to look for that the next time we make a grocery run.
- 3 cups coleslaw (see recipe below)
- 6 slices crisp bacon
- 6 hot dog buns, buttered and toasted
- 6 all-beef hot dogs, grilled
- 6 slices American cheese
- 1 cup crushed Grippo's BAR-B-Q potato chips
- Make the cole slaw. Refrigerate and allow the flavors to marry for 1 hour.
- While the cole slaw is sitting in the fridge, cook your bacon (for a mess-free option, bake it!).
- Assemble in this order: Bun-> Hot dog--> Cheese--> Bacon--> Cole slaw--> Grippo's
- 5 cups cole slaw mix
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- salt to taste
- Combine shredded cabbages and carrots in a bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, water and sugar. Season with salt. Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the sugar to dissolve and flavors to marry.
Source: Adapted from Cincinnati.com via The Senate