We made our newly favorite grilled cheese sandwiches, and tried out this tomato soup recipe. We have always picked up Trader Joe's roasted red pepper & tomato soup, but this creamy version was easy and tasted amazing! It is slightly thicker (which we like), and flavorful. Definitely a notch above your traditional soup (in a can).
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 10.75-oz can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup milk (we used skim)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 8-oz package cream cheese, cubed (we used 1/3 fat)
- In a large saucepan on medium low heat, saute onion in butter until tender (10-15 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes, soup, milk, sugar, basil, paprika and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- If you want a smoother texture, use an immersion blender.
- Serve immediately.
Source: Adapted from Taste of Home