- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 pound italian sausage (we have used breakfast sausage roll and chicken sausage successfully)
- ½ yellow onion, diced finely
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs, whisked
- (optional: add anything you like with pizza: veggies, basil, even cheese if you do primal)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until the skin of the squash gives when you press on it. (Or, try this whole roasting method- easy peasy.)
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees, and grease an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Once squash is done cooking, remove threads and place it in a large bowl.
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, and saute until semi-soft.
- Add the sausage, and cook until pink no longer remains in the sausage and it is broken up into pieces.
- Add pizza sauce, dried basil and salt and pepper to the pan and mix well.
- Add sausage mixture to the bowl, and mix well with spaghetti squash threads.
- Lastly, add whisked eggs to the bowl and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs.
- Dump the mixture into the 8x8 greased dish.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour or until the top of the mixture forms a slight crust that doesn't give when you press on it in the middle of the dish.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Source: Adapted from PaleOMG