The title doesn't lie- this was the ultimate grilled cheese! We tested out a traditional recipe, Tyler Florence's Dijon-Apple grilled cheese, but we both agreed that Ina's was our favorite.
Her grilled cheese starts out with a Parmesan mayo mixture and topped with Cheddar and Swiss and a few slices of bacon. The flavor combination was amazing! So amazing, we made this 2 weekends in a row. I would definitely recommend using center cut bacon, sourdough bread (we used Brownberry sourdough bread, which is the perfect thickness), and ultra-thin sliced cheese (Sargento brand). Nothing is worse than your bread browning quicker than your cheese is able to melt.
We served these grilled cheese sandwiches with this creamy tomato soup. Perfect on a cold wintery day.
- 1 package (12-15 oz) center cut bacon
- 1 cup good mayonnaise (we use Hellmann's; not light!)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (we used the grated kind)
- 1 tsp kosher salt (we now do 1/2 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf of sourdough bread, sliced 1/2" thick (12 slices) (Brownberry sourdough was perfect)
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 oz ultra-thin sliced swiss cheese (we used Sargento's Ultra-Thin)
- 8-oz extra sharp sliced Cheddar cheese (we used Sargento's Ultra-Thin)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the bacon on a baking rack set over a sheet pan in a single layer and roast for 14-16 minutes, until nicely browned. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels and cut in 1-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Lay 12 slices of bread on a board and spread each one lightly with butter. Flip the slices and spread each one generously with the mayonnaise mixture. Don't neglect the corners!
- On 6 slices of bread, add 1 slice of Cheddar and 1 slice of Swiss on each slice.
- Top the slices with 2-3 slices of cooked bacon.
- Top the bacon with another 1 slice of Cheddar and 1 slice of Swiss.
- Top that with the remaining bread slices, sauce side down.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle or a large saute pan. When it is hot, cook the sandwiches for 3 to 5 minutes in batches until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted. Allow to cool for 2 minutes. Cut in half and serve warm.
Source: Ina Garten