- Caramelized onions*
- 12 eggs
- Shredded cheese
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Avocado, finely diced
- Salt & pepper
- Dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a muffin pan with cooking spray. (I use my silicone muffin pan, and the egg muffins slip right out.)
- Add a thin layer of caramelized onion on the bottom of each well.
- Crack 1 egg into each muffin well.
- Top the egg with 2 tsp of cheese per muffin.
- Add the halved cherry tomato and some diced avocado on top.
- Season each muffin with some salt, pepper, and dried thyme.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes (depending on how well you like your egg cooked).
- Remove from oven. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Good for 5 days.
Yield: 12 egg muffins (I eat 2 muffins for breakfast)
I like to make a large batch of caramelized onions on a weekend, and then freeze them in ice cube trays. Once frozen, then I add the frozen cubes in a freezer ziplock bag and store them when needed.
I like this recipe, but it takes me approximately 60-90 minutes, and I use a stainless steel pan.